Aug 2, 2015

20 Things I Remember About My Mom, Zeny Cenzon

Today would have been your 68th birthday, Mama. I though I'd celebrate it by going through memory lane. Someday, I will be old too, and I might forget. It's best to write it down now while I can still remember.

Our life has been one hell of an adventure. It wasn't always easy, most of the time we were struggling to make ends meet. But, we made meaningful memories.

1) In Elementary, Mama was very active in my school. I was a participant in every school program, and she fussed over my costume and make-up all the time. My sister-in-law Anna Segui, reminds me of her in that sense.

2) We went through my homework everyday. She did the same for my nieces and nephews.

3) She enrolled me in Hawaiian classes when I was around 7, I can't remember exactly. That's why I'm so good at booty shake. Shakira is an amateur compared to me. smile emoticon

4) My earliest memory of school is a Xmas program where we danced to the tune of "Merry Christmas Polka". She was putting on my make-up.

5) I wasn't allowed to read "Tagalog" Comics. But I loved the horror comics and I hid them under my uniform so I can read "Bruhilda" in my room. I got spanked when she found out.

6) She would bribe me with 10 pesos to sing in front of visitors. As I got older, it increased to 20.

7) She taught me broadway songs and watched broadway movies with me. Annie, South Pacific, Sound of Music. The first song she taught me, that I could remember, was "Happy Talk."

8) When we joined excursions in school, she followed the school bus in her car.

9) Until the 4th grade, I would cry and make a scene in school when she tried to leave me. I was very famous for that. So, the principal allowed her to sit outside the classroom where I could see her. Once I got comfortable in class, I allowed her to go home.

10) She looooved getting a massage. She had her own masseuse, Aling Letty.

11) She owned a business called LZDC Enterprises when she was about my age... maybe younger.

12) She was always in the parlor. I considered the hairdressers my second family.

13) We frequently had dinner at Zamboanga Restaurant where we watched cultural shows.

14) She was very intelligent and sophisticated in her taste in music and literature. Not so in men. LOL.

15) She had a very beautiful voice.

16) She and my dad named me after the song, "My Cherie Amour." The nurses spelled my name wrong in my birth certificate. My dad always spells my name as Cherie Ann.

17) She kept a beautiful house, no matter where we lived.

18) She loved to drive her Celeste. Weekend trips were normal as I was growing up.

19) She loved food and was a great cook. A skill which I unfortunately didn't inherit. It went to my brothers Emman and Yayie.

20) She always, always did her best to provide for her children, and it has always been a hard road since she was alone.

When I was younger and more rebellious, we argued all the time. And I of course never listened to her. Only as I settled down and matured did I start to appreciate her as a woman, not just as a mother. No mother is perfect, and there is no formula that can ensure successful parenthood. But if your children can look back at your life and think of you with love and gratefulness, then you would have done a good job.

Thank you for the beautiful memories, Mommy. For the training and the lessons. I didn't turn out so bad. and I owe that to the way you raised me. Your love was the secret. You were always there. I hurt you so many times, but you forgave me over and over. Knowing I had you gave me strength to get up each time I fell. You were my rock. Thank you for remaining strong until the end.

Happy Birthday to You. I Love You. Wish you were here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have fond memories of Mommy, please share it with us..